View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM
josh123
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2008

This may be a dead thread now, but I need to know a few things. When I was 20 (ten years ago) I made a series of bad mistakes and picked up a felony. I've lived straight and narrow since and have a good career, family, etc. Stupid kid stuff long since gone. Anyways, I just went to get my medical certificate the other day and I was surprised that after I honestly disclosed my conviction, they want much more information to the case. I find it rather odd that they need any more information than what is on my NDR file. I was requested to get the details of the file, decree, disposition, etc. including a letter explaining explicit details of what happened. Why? What does that all have to do with a medical certificate? It didn't involved drugs or alcohol... it was listed as a non-violent crime that didn't involve firearms or weapons. Is this really necessary or is this someone getting really nosey into something I'd rather keep in the past? Besides, it's going to cost me big since the file has been since archived.

I'm only obtaining my pilot's certificate for recreation and not for job purposes. I don't want to be a commercial pilot, I just want to fly for fun as a hobby. Will my mistake 10 years ago prevent me from obtaining that? Are the hoops worth it or overkill? I want to comply, but I also want to tell this guy to buzz off and read my NDR for the details and that's it.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank you!!

Josh123