View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 06:46 PM
ryane946
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: FO, looking left

In my opinion, there are two sides to this issue.

1. Those who are currently approaching age 60 and would like to continue earning money
2. THE REST OF US.

Everyone complains about how airline jobs are getting worse and worse everyday. A big reason for that is there are a lot of pilots who are willing to do the job for small wages in hopes of making the big time. But the fact is if this passes, there will be more pilots in the workforce, and pilot QOL will decrease for EVERYONE under age 60.

There are more pilots. Regional mins go up. That means we spend more time as a low wage CFI. Yippie. Now we get hired at that regional, but since there are more pilots at the majors, regional progression is much slower. Add more years as a regional FO, and more years stuck as a regional captain. You finally upgrade to a major airline. You spend more years as a FO because fewer 60 year old captains are retiring. PAYCUT, PAYCUT, PAYCUT, BIG PAYCUT... Even once you upgrade to major airline captain, progression is slower. PAYCUT. I don't think pilots deserve any more paycuts.

Personally, I have no desire to be working at age 60. Why would you? When I'm 60, I want to be enjoying my life, hanging out with my wife and grandkids.
No desire to still be working at age 60. But if this law passes, I might have to (after all those paycuts (and I'm talking hundreds of thousands of dollars in paycuts for EVERYONE if the bill passes)).
I hope it doesn't pass.