View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 PM
TonyWilliams
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Self employed

Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
Even if what you say is true, the last defense is always with the vote of the rank and file. If there was a union there, the representatives would be voted in by the rank and file. The rank and file could vote anyone in with the issues that they feel are important to them. If this is a policy they feel is important, they can vote for those who agree with them on it....... The power lies with the rank and file.

The rank and file currently has the ability to vote in reps who either support, or not, this issue. So far, the 18-ish reps that have been voted in by the pilots overwhelmingly support the current policy.

Why would anybody think the situation would change with a different pilot group structure? If only reps were voted in who support changing the policy, if would take years to get a majority. Then you have to sell it to the company, whether you're a union or not. Remember, there is reportedly at least one UNION airline (AA) that also has this policy.

Don't get me wrong. I see a need for a union, but a union does not automatically fix this.... ever. A union doesn't automatically take your issue to court. Saying that some union would go the extra mile to fix your issue is a bit like thinking that the company will also go the extra mile. It might happen; it might not.

Certainly, I can see some changes even with the current policy with the current reps. No where that I know of does it say you must be banned for life from SkyWest. Why not let me reapply?

The latest number that I got for pilot firing at SkyWest is 32. Didn't get the time frame (I think this year), but that's a bunch of fired pilots. I guess I'm one, and the crew who did the negative G's are two more. A few days after I was fired, I got a call from an EMB FO who was fired on IOE. Also, I got a call tonight from a pilot who was fired from SkW a few years ago. Interesting story.

Maybe I should start a club? STOOP: Skywest Terminated Organization Of Pilots?