Thread: Eva Air
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
taylorjets
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Admiral's club lounge

Originally Posted by Flyin'Finn View Post
Here's some comments a friend-of-a-friend shared about a year ago regarding life at EVA (if you're reading this SC, I hope you don't mind me posting it)
  1. Are you assigned to a fleet, or do you have a choice between the pax. fleet and freighters? Yes...you are assigned a fleet. It basically depends on where they need manpower at the time you are hired. Though having said that...if you have a preference....they will try and accommodate.
  2. Typical schedule, min. number of days off/mo? We get 8 to 9 days off in a block. Can get more days off while you are here. We fly anything from about 50 hours to 90 hours. Just depends on how you get rostered for the month. On average....well..on the MD11 fleet...I am only here about 4 days a month. I work about 14-16 (if that!) days a month...and the rest are off, reserve, etc.
  3. Bases, TPE only? yes...main base here. Just works better for logistics....however...as I mentioned...on the MD11 fleet....we are here maybe 5 to 7 days a month only. Anchorage is also available as a base.
  4. Appx. upgrade time; locals only or will ex-pats have an equal chance? Merit-based? Right now....upgrade is not even an option! We are talking....about 10 years on average. Might be less....but nothing before 6 to 7 years minimum. Locals do get preference....and they have a weird way of accounting for seniority. I have not got it figured out yet.....
  5. Travel benefits (commuting policy), if any? Oh yes.....GREAT! Anywhere on the eva network for you and dependents. Also get ZED and ID tickets. As for commuting....umm....as long as you are where you have to be....though not appreciated. Esp as on the MD we get schedule changes all the time!
  6. Overall morale of pilot group? Do you think EVA is managed well (kind of a self-answered question, after all EVA is an airline…)? Morale....well....its mixed. You have guys that have been here years and years...and are making good money. You have some that have not been here too long and are making ok money...yet when they see airlines like Korean paying $9000 a month for FOs....morale suffers. So really...I cant say much. On the whole..I would say its good-ish. As for well managed......well....I think it could be better...a lot better. Having said that.....its what is important to you. The planes here are in excellent conditions. Maintenance is superb! Organisation is fantastic. Safety is among the best. We are looked after well in terms of transport, hotel pick ups and drops, good hotels, laundry services, organised training, etc. The level of professionalism is very very good here! Eva pilots have a good reputaion amongst other airlinies. They make us study hard here and have us doing loads of home study and exams all the time. Also training is very good here.
  7. Happy at EVA? Do you consider it as a stepping stone (to CX or equivalent) or could you see yourself retiring there? Yes....very happy here. Its only a stepping stone! If they paid about $2000 to $3000 more .....then I doubt anyone would actually want to leave here. They have loads of benefits and retirement options etc. There are many days off and unrestricted travel. The conditions are good, planes are new....safety record is impeccable. However....money is not enough. And there are many better options out there. However....if you want a stepping stone....in my opinion...there are not many out there that are better then Eva. You will not make too much money here....but you will get experience and training of the highest quality. You get to fly heavy jets, class cockpits and international destinations. Its a great stepping stone.

FF
Great info. Thank You. How does your friend like living in Taipai?