Gets Weekends Off
Herkflyr
Gets Weekends Off
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2007
  • Position
    Left seat of a little plane
Quote: EFB's are part of the avionics package on the 787. This requires the airline to build the EFB infrastructure to manage the EFB portion of the 787 avionics. Since the infrastructure is the vast majority of the cost of an EFB system, and the EFB infrastructure must be built if you want to operate a 787, I think this tips the balance. It will now make it cost effective to have EFB's in all aircraft once/if the 787 is delivered to the new Delta.

Just my opinion, but I bet it happens within a year or two.

Carl
I would love to believe you, but this is DAL you're talking about. Let's just say that DAL will never be accused of being technological trend-setters...though it is better than it used to be.

As for EFBs, I will believe it when I see it. We just got the ability to upload route and wind information into the FMS--and that is just for specific transatlantic flights! My understanding is other airlines have been doing this for years.

Another story I have heard is that DAL is also the airline that insisted that Boeing put an antiskid switch on the 757 (newer ones don't have them) even though Boeing insisted there was no need for it because there was never a situation where you would deselect it, so why have the switch? Delta insisted anyway. Why? Because "that's how the 727 does it."

Still, DAL is a great place. Sometimes I shake my head, though. (Of course, I hear at NWA you still manually write trip pickup requests on pieces of paper that the midnight scheduling shift in MSP processes....? True? It's all computerized at DAL and has been for many years.)