Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 AM
250 or point 65
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Not quite. For whatever reason the FAA does NOT count the duty off time (15 minutes after block in) at the end of the day against the 16 hours. So for duty time, you just need to be able to block in from the final leg at or prior to 16 hours in order to depart on that leg.

As to whether the 15 minutes duty off time counts against your rest is debatable.

I think that is more contractual or policy than anything else, but has come to be seen as part of rest. The reality is that you must be free of duty for rest to start...sometimes that takes 15 minutes, but often not.
I don't think this is correct. If I'm on duty, I'm not resting. The company has stipulated that I am still on duty for 15 minutes after I block in. That means this time has to count for the 16 hr duty day. If I don't count it, then at the end of that duty day I will find myself with only 7:45 of rest in the last 24 hrs.

To everyone else who is complaining about this 16 hr interpretation:
Yes, yes, we all know that the true spirit of Whitlow is that you have to have 8 hrs of rest in any 24 hr period. However, that interpretation means that you cannot fly a duty day of over 16 hrs.