View Single Post
Old 11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
UAL T38 Phlyer
Moderate Moderator

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Curator at Static Display
Default Student Continuity

Ferd:

Continuity, at least at Columbus in the T-38, is overall pretty good with Reservists.

What you may not know is we comprise about 50% of the IP cadre by number of bodies. Factoring out the Active-Duty CC and DO, and other supervisory types that can't fly on a regular basis, and our actual production numbers place us in 50-60% of the sorties.

Unlike a traditional Guard or Reserve squadron that only works weekends, we general DON'T work weekends. We are obligated to fly at least 7 days a month, and I believe 9 student sorties. I actually fly about 15 days and 30 sorties a month.

So, I fly a bunch, and have continuity with 4 or 5 students at a time.

AZF:

The students get about 70-80 hours in "Phase 2" as they call it (I don't know the precise number). When they get to the T-38 or "Phase 3," they get about 100-115 in theory, but usually closer to 120 due to repeated rides, maintenance incompletes, etc. Call it 180-200 total to become a rated pilot.

All:

Guys have washed out of IFF at Columbus and been given a Heavy. More often than being completely washed out of UPT, guys tend to graduate from the T-38 but not be fighter qualified (guys from fighter guard units--that has been a problem, at least 3 in the last 2 years). They try to find a guard Heavy unit that needs them.