View Single Post
Old 07-28-2006, 10:34 AM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by stickwiggler
to the author of this post.... spend the money on a type? Yes, just not that one. Most of the regional hiring people want to see one thing. Will you get through the training? If you have a type already, you've shown that you can "drink from the fire hose" and have some experience in the sim. i.e. any type will help you get hired at a regional. But, I would pick a type that could get you a job. A citation type is probably the most practical, more slowtations flying around than anything else.
One person noted that a CL 65 type is also a Challenger 850 type, he is correct, but I wouldn't depend on that being worth anything, because even if you got one you'd be competing with a million other guys with the same type + experience.
Double dip, get the experience that will get you the interview and job @ an airline, but something you could fall back on in the corporate world.
Not neccesarily true. There were 3 people in my class that didn't make it through training at XJT. Two had previous airline experience and one had bought himself a CRJ type rating. None of the 3 left voluntarily. Something to think about. If you are going to buy a type rating, buy one that is worth something. A type is a type. Go get a 737 or Citation/Lear type. It will serve you better in the long run and cost you significantly less. I fly with a lot of guys who are trying to/have gotten on with SWA and seems like the going rate for a 737 type is around $7000. That is WAY less than what youre considering and WAY more useful if you have ambitions beyond the regional airline world. Just remember, having that type rating doesn't gurantee you a job.