View Single Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by HercDriver130 View Post
Interesting perspective on the 130 community. I can speak to my training when I went the rock first as a copilot ( 1987 ) then AC upgrade in (89). Phase I, ie, ground school, sim and instrument work was all flying in the right seat. Only difference I remember was the engine out work. Other than that my memory serves me the profiles for checkrides and training were very similar. Tactical phase was a different animal, as in those days we still used navigators for airdrop and the crew duties for a copilot flying low level tactical generally didnt include hands on flying. You did have to fly some from the right seat for profeciency but your primary was navigation, threat surv, and back up the nav for airdrop. Perhaps with automated GPS airdrop systems I am sure the methodes we used are not even in play for the most part but that was a different time. We did have AWADS at Pope when I was there but it was still a NAV airdrop show.

Times change, systems change.... UPT has changed, I certainly am not qualified to judge for the better or worse. While I was a product of the T-37/T-38 UPT system I would hope to think the T-1 program made for better transitions out of UPT to MWS heavies.
I'm not even sure if everyone here is speaking from the same sheet of paper. This thread has drifted somewhat from the original question or two questions have surfaced.
1) Are the new pilots of today BETTER than the new pilots of old.
In my opinion - the new pilots of today are probably better on the whole. The training has progressed, the systems and aircraft are more advanced and in my community the tactics are more involved - BUT -
2) Was it harder to get through pilot training "back in the day". Yes - I believe it was. I see MANY more chances given for success to today's new pilots than in the past - including my timeframe in the early 90's for a variety of reasons that have been posted before. You didn't get to go through training with 3 or 4 SODs (Signal of Difficulties or 'downs') and then start the syllabus ALL OVER again for example.

USMCFLYR