View Single Post
Old 07-29-2006, 07:37 AM
STILL GROUNDED
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Left Seat

Originally Posted by sjones
If I was to go there, it will take me less time and I could upgrade faster to the left seat and hopefully get out of there. But I just dont know......I would love to hear everyone's insight.
Thanks again...
Here is the scoop on that. I am a Mesa Pilot (bash on) so I can tell you what happens. Yes there are quick upgrades at times, the thing is if you look at the ATP rating requirements you'll see that 500 hours of PIC is one of them. When you do a "program" you'll never get 500 hours PIC before you get hired. Which means you have to meet an ICAO equivilent. I think it is something like 2500TT hour because half of you SIC is allowed but you cannot count that time toward your total time if you use it for PIC. Its pretty wack.

At mesa most likely you'll go to a Jet with low time. That is because you are not upgradable at 1500TT because of the ATP mins. Which means upgrade will be closer to 3-4 years. Not that this is a bad idea. The CFI's/Freight dogs and basic dues payers go to airmidwest BE1900's where the upgrade can be as soon as you hit ATP mins. They also need guys that can hand fly old antiquated pieces of **** and not shiney new barons or jets with auto pilots and FA's to polish you sack. Yes this is where I work.

Personally I tried the "program" and got burned when my school went belly up, I finished my commercial and CFI's and got a job instructing. I honestly know more than the captains who went through the programs, regardless of which program.

The decision is yours but I hate seeing someone pay 3 times as much and come out the other end meeting a requirement instead of actually having knowledge. No offense to the guys that have done it but I found what I did not know the minute I started instructing.