Old 11-15-2008, 08:35 AM
W0XOFF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by ⌐ AV8OR WANNABE View Post
I think those ID90s are a little overrated. I used to get some ID90s at my previous airline and we bought ID90 tickets on DAL and a few other major airlines. They got pretty expensive though, it's 90% off the highest priced ticket and very often we could find a better deal on Orbitz or Travelocity...
AGREED !

For all the reasons mentioned above -AND the most important:

If you have a wife, ID90 is VERY overrated! Most wives don't want to put up with the BS of the high possibility of being bumped. . .especially at a mid point airport!

Happened to us a few years ago, when the kids were toddlers. Took a ski vacation to Tahoe . .flying into RNO. No problem getting there, but, on the way home, early evening, dead tired, cranky kids . . they did not have enough seats out of SJC for all of us to get home.

Fortunately, there was another flight about 2+ hours later, that they said was wide open, due the lateness of the evening. BUT . . subsequent to that, wife would NEVER use ID90 AGAIN. I will BET there are thousands of stories like that. NOT the benefit it is cracked up to be.

The Orbitz/Travelocity comment (above) was right on, since the 90% off DOES come on the highest priced ticket. If you are traveling alone, the FREE Jump Seat has always been my favorite option.

The SWA is great when kids are in college. Just have to 'anticipate' . .but kids got the time and patience and consider meeting people in airports an 'adventure'.