View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 02:42 PM
NoyGonnaDoIt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by eprn1n2 View Post
Thanks. This gets more interesting by the minute. I'm a qualified PIC so it looks like I could do the training. Once that is done I sign the logbook according to 61.51 and the FO takes it down to the FSDO and gets it signed off as "MD-80 SIC for ferry flights only". Most of the time customer insurance requirements would prohibit this arangement but the customer I worked for recently would have no problem. Thanks all.
I'm not sure that it would be limited to ferry flights. If you've given the training, the reg says he can get his SIC type rating. Maybe I'm not looking closely enough, but I don't see where it calls for a restriction on the type of flight. AFAIK, it's an aircraft type endorsement/rating (limited to SIC privileges), not an operational rating or even permits you to add limitations. You've basically signed him off to be SIC on passenger flights in an MD-80.

He also doesn't have to go down to the FSDO. The "SIC type rating" is needed for international flights only. It's part of an ICAO requirement; the endorsement of familiarity training and the currency requirement are FAA part.