View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Tanker-driver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Shack,
You are 100% entitled to your opinion, and the arguments you make are valid ones. Most of us did join the AF because we wanted to serve. However, I think you may be passing judgement without hearing the full story here. If service was completely, in and of itself, it's own reward, no one would join an all volunteer military. The truth of the matter is, if you want people to serve in this military, you have to offer something in return. For a lot of flyers, that something was the chance to FLY in the greatest Air Force in the world. At many units these days, actually going flying (i.e. a pilot's PRIMARY duty) has taken a back-burner to more "important" duties. Many of us are being told that flying even once a week is putting too much of a burden on our various offices. If it were senior Majors and LtCols being told these things, I might be able to understand better, but we are talking mid-level Captains here with maybe 4-5 years of flying experience. At my unit, it is a fight to get 250hrs a year. If I were treated like the professional I am expected to be, I would stay in this Air Force forever. Unfortunately, I am expected to rush through mediocre computer based training, complete simulator sessions with mere hours of notice, and glean everything I need to know about my airplane during the two to three sorties I am allowed to fly each month. The Air Force has made it clear to many of us that it no longer takes FLYING seriously. And here I thought that's what the Air Force was supposed to be good at. So, yes, I am considering taking the money that the Air Force is offering because in it's infinite wisdom, it has decided that it's personnel are not yet tasked enough. Oh and by the way, IF I do leave, I will do so proud to have served with ANYONE who has had the guts to step into a uniform. And if I were to meet you on a bar-stool somewhere, I'd happily buy you a beer and discuss the issue further.

TD