View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 09:06 PM
fdx727pilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: 767 Cap

Originally Posted by Phantom Flyer View Post
I've never heard of a federal regulation that requires an autopilot to be "on", i.e., engaged anytime during a flight regime. Yes, it must be operative to enter RVSM airspace but "operative" and "engaged" are two different things.

If I'm wrong, the Budvar is on me !

Cheers Mates
Well, its kind off convoluted, but here goes. Part 91 App G says in part

"Section 3. Operator Authorization

(b)(3) Policies and procedures: An applicant who operates under part 121 or 135 of this chapter or under subpart K of this part must submit RVSM policies and procedures that will enable it to conduct RVSM operations safely.

(c) Validation and Demonstration. In a manner prescribed by the Administrator, the operator must provide evidence that:

(1) It is capable to operate and maintain each aircraft or aircraft group for which it applies for approval to operate in RVSM airspace; and

(2) Each pilot has an adequate knowledge of RVSM requirements, policies, and procedures."

So basically, as I read it, if you are approved to file RVSM, your carrier has submitted policies and procedures to the Feds.

If the RVSM policies of the operator require an autopilot to be engaged, and it is approved after being submitted per App G (b)(3), it becomes part the regs, in as much as your Ops Specs are considered regs. I don't know what your carrier's policies are, but mine say at least one must be engaged during cruise or level change in RVSM. Ergo, I make sure my hand-flying FOs slap George on well before FL290. If your carrier doesn't have this policy, go for it.

On the other hand, being the US government, they are way too bizarre to actually state use of the mandatory autopilot is required. I searched the FAR and AIM and couldn't find anything saying that. They all mention the altitude hold requirements and possible penalties for exceeding them (loss of RVSM certification,) but never simply say "use the damn thing."