View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 04:23 PM
shackone
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by Pilot_135
I truly wish the "good 'ol days" were still here - they'd have to pull me out kicking and screaming. Unfurtunately those days are long gone. Bottom line, it isn't the same AF you probably remember, and it isn't the same as when we all started as young cadets. I'm not ashamed of your service - don't be ashamed of mine.
First of all, I don't know what you know of the 'good old days', but it doesn't sound like much. That phrase is worn out...there never were days like that, every time had its share of good deals and bad deals. Whatever complaints you folks may have about today, I'm quite willing to match you one for one.

Ever heard of a '3' ER...you know, the infamous 'promotable 3'? If not, and I imagine that's the case, then you folks don't have a clue about what a real b1tch is.

So far, about all I've heard is that you guys don't like the TDY to Iraq. Well, too bad. That's what we all signed up for. The US isn't in the business of fighting inside our own borders...far away places is where we end up plying our trade. And that's what the AF is all about...war...our trade. Not about good time TDYs, or fun times in the squadron, or lots of 'quality' flying.

What else is there to complain about? Limited career progression? Poor leadership? Little reward for a job well done? Read that 'Dear Boss' letter again. You aren't the first, not will you be the last. The trick isn't to complain about it...it's to follow Key's example and make a career out of trying to make things better.

Do I sound unsympathetic? Oh...I'm sympathetic. Up to a point. I remember frustrations that you guys can't even imagine. Ever read much about how we fought the Vietnam air war? Or didn't fight it, as it so happened. And the lives that were squandered in the process. And you guys want to complain about not getting the 'fun' TDYs! YGBSM.

No...I'm not pulling the WHITLY stuff on you...but you guys need a reality check.

Lastly...I said nothing about being ashamed of anyone's service. I wasn't referring to things accomplished...I was addressing your future decisions regarding your decisions to remain in the AF.

Oh...one more thing. That compensation argument, or non-argument as the case may be. That one was truly a stab in the dark. Even priests get paid.

Originally Posted by Pilot_135
Oh - and those of us who are considering separating early instead of retirement aren't the bottom of the barrel. On the contrary. From what I see, it's the cream of the crop. What's that tell you...?
It tells me nothing relative to this discussion. It's only an unproven assertion.