View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 07:17 PM
shackone
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by Pilot_135
I do have a question though. Why do you think it's a requirement for all of us to stay in to 20+ years?
You have missed my point. I said nothing about a 'requirement'. I was talking about a sense of duty. If that is too abstract, then my bad.

Do you think I should get a dishonerable discharge if/when I don't retire?
Was that supposed to be a serious question? I hope not.

The basic commitment to the AF is 4 years. Why is it shameful to put in those 4, or 8, or whatever a person's training commitment is, and say thank you very much, it's time to move on with my life?
You are playing that 'shame' card again. I said nothing about shame.

What about the enlisted force? Are they as shameful to you for the same thing?
Enlisted personnel do not have a commission. They have an enlistment, and at the end of that enlistment, they are free to leave. Please don't play the enlisted/officer card...it doesn't make you any points.

Would you agree that the services have a natural attrition process? Isn't that what they have promotion boards for? Hell, isn't that what the whole Force Shaping process if for?
Yes...the military is a meritocracy, and those that don't measure up are subject to 'attrition'. I wouldn't call 'force shaping' natural attrition...if anything, it is unnatural and forced attrition, a consequence of unforeseen circumstances and results in a reduction of personnel in excess of the typical attrition.

I think you have the impression we are all here for the money and nothing else. That's pretty insulting.
I have no way of knowing why you are here (and that is really my whole point), but one thing seems pretty certain...money is at the heart of this subject. Otherwise, why is it on the table?