View Single Post
Old 11-27-2008, 02:05 PM
Carl Spackler
Back on TDY

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain

Originally Posted by Phantom Flyer View Post
I would agree Carl; however, let's say that the authority the Captain has under the FAR's is being "threatened" by the likes of Mr. Tilton et al.
It's always being threatened by some management geek. They can threaten all they want, but if they're not in the left seat - they have no say. If you have the facts to backup your decision, any court attempt to sanction you will fail. If a pilot doesn't have any facts on his side, then he/she doesn't have the temperament to be in the left seat yet.

If we,as a group, don't stand tall and say "Hell No", you're not taking our authority to operate the aircraft in a safe, professional manner while making decisions we feel are appropriate under the circumstances, then we've lost the battle.
I don't mean to sound like such a hard ass here, but the FAR's do not delineate "we" and "our" in the description of the authority granted to the Pilot In Command. It is a singular granting of authority to one person and one person only. Federal law is completely on your side when you act as a prudent commander who is only intersted in safety.

The situation at United is unique and that prompted the thread.
I know it feels unique to you right now, but it's not. Don't worry about the collective in this regard. Worry only about what YOU think is correct and safe - then act accordingly. That's all you need to know.

Carl