Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Avroman
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: FIRE ALPA

Originally Posted by TheSultanofScud View Post
This is mostly directed at those familiar with the XJ training deparment, but I think it's applicable to a lot of other operations issuing SIC type ratings with circling limitations.

Does does anyone know if the Mesaba training department has authorization to conduct the training to remove the circling limitations after a type rating? I know they certainly won't pay for it (why should they pay for something that probably isn't allowed by ops-specs)...but I was wondering if I could theoretically pay for some work in the company training dept. to remove the limitation or if I'd have to go to factory training, Flight Safety, yada yada. Just curious; I'm kind of finicky about my certs, and if I have a type rating I don't want the limitations...even if the limitation has no effect on current operations. Thanks in advance; I searched other threads that touched on the limitation itself, but I think my question is a little too specific.
The answer for XJ is unfortunately, No. I have asked as well and the answer I have gotten from more than one source is since circling approaches are no longer in our op specs the instructors/apd's are no longer authorized to train or test for this and as such ALL type ratings issued by them must have the limitation. Now can the manuver be tested in the sims, yes. But you have to go through Pan Am on your own and at your own cost. Best bet is get hired by a part 135 Saab operator, they will train and test for the circling approach and no more limitation... If you are talking about the CRJ then guess you'll just have to call Pan Am and see what they offer.