View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM
greasyv
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Left

18 months ago I was looking for a job and at the time I had 1000 hrs 200 multi. The following info includes just a few of the things I did to get hired.

The best advice I could give to anyone looking for a job is to read the book "Knock em Dead" answers to tough interview questions by Martin Yates. This book will prepare you for interviews with anybody. In this market you need to be a good interviewer and have the answers the employer wants to hear. Look sharp! Wear a suit and deliver your resumes in person as much as you can to set yourself apart. Too many people take the easy road and simply phone their way around and don't take the time to stop by and introduce themselves. Be prepared to go through a lot of no's which doesn't mean no, it means I don't need anybody right now. Keep in touch with every new contact you meet and ask them if they know anybody. Eventually you will find your job. Remember even if you are just dropping off a resume be prepared to interview right then and there, always be prepared to tell them why you are the best choice for the company. Sure insurance has its requirements for you to get hired at certain outfits but in the end they are hiring you and not just your experience. There are a ton of Jerks who are overqualified for the job but who the heck would want to sit next to one of them for 5 hrs a day or more?

Everybody in this business says getting a job is all about who you know. Well I say make it your business to get to know as many people as possible. If you asked me if I would hire you and I didn't have anything then I would say no. If you followed up and asked if I knew of anybody who was hiring then I would gladly point you in the right direction.

I hope this info helps.

I have been there and I will be there again one day.

Last edited by greasyv; 12-04-2008 at 04:36 PM.