View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 PM
proskuneho
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: Enjoying the view

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Great advice Proskuneho. are there many identifiable landmarks around the working area? The area that I generally work in is like Indian Country. We have a controller who is usually very busy. We have LOTS of aircraft doing all sorts of manuvering in the area and transienting the area too and then the bottom of the area is a MOA with civilian traffic coming up and down the valleys! Luckily - we are most all up the same freq so we can hear each other check in and then we'll even make calls on that freq if we feel we should for safety. The area also lends itself to using landmarls to identify where we are working in the area too. Best of luck out there in those busy working areas and keep a sharp lookout!
123.3 - learn it - live it - love it!

USMCFLYR
There are plenty of landmarks. In fact, Flight Safety Academy in Vero Beach uses a named grid system. I asked our chief pilot a while ago to get a map of their grid names since they use the frequency more than any other school. I'll just call Flight Safety myself in the morning and have them fax it to us.
Stay safe guys.