Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 AM
TonyC
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner
Default Finally!!! Good Advice from System Chief Pilot

As you may know from my previous comments, I always read his e-mails with a smile, as I consider them to be nothing but entertainment. The day we start taking that stuff seriously is the day we start stressing ourselves out unneccessarily. However, he did manage to sneak a nugget of truth into his most recent missive.

Third, maybe don’t push yourself as hard. Get a little extra sleep and relax on days off. It’s summer and we’re supposed to be enjoying it before the hurricanes come or the snow starts flying.

AMEN!!!

There's no reason to be working more than 100%. Not even 100.1%!

No, it's obvious that FedEx doesn't even need us to work more than 100%, or we would have a Tentative Agreement to ratify. FedEx management has clearly demonstrated their willingness and ability to negotiate a contract when it's in their best interest. Witness the USPS contract negotiated a full two years early, extending our relationship with them until 2013. Yes, given the wonderful relationship between these two groups, FedEx Express and USPS, a contract comes easy. And, yes, it IS FedEx EXPRESS, not FedEx Corp, or FedEx Ground, or FedEx Custom Critical, or FedEx Kinkos. It's FedEx Express, that company responsible for the very existence of the FedEx brand, the company that guarantees delivery tomorrow morning around the globe - - Absolutely, Positively - - and that company which is now spoken of like Scotch tape, a Xerox copy, and an ice cold Coke. Oh, and did I mention, it's the company that cannot exist without airplanes?

No, Capt L., you're correct on this one. We shouldn't push ourselves too hard, and we should enjoy our time off - - ALL of our time off.

Keep your cool, guys - - it's just a business transaction. Give 100.0% - - and then relax.

When they realize they depend on us giving MORE than 100% to make it work every day, perhaps they'll get serious about achieving a contract that recognizes our continued contribution to the continued success of this company.