View Single Post
Old 12-16-2008, 10:12 AM
NoyGonnaDoIt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by flyboyjake View Post
given that a rating is defined in 1.1 as a statement that, as a part of a certificate, sets forth special conditions, privileges, or limitations. I am wondering if the new SIC type would constitute as an allowance that the holder is now "rated" in that aircraft, and could now log PIC if manipulating the controls. Id love to hear a logical thought on this
I don't know how logical this is, but, as already pointed out, the SIC rating was created by the FAA in order to allow US pilots to qualify for certain flights under ICAO rules. It really has no meaning for US pilots.

Yes, the SIC rating fits FAR 1.1's definition of a rating ("Rating means a statement that, as a part of a certificate, sets forth special conditions, privileges, or limitations"). So that one can certainly argue that it meets the requirements of the "sole manipulator" rule.

But, my WAG is that it only does so as a result of the "law of unintended consequences." So I wouldn't be surprised if, since it is only a paper rating with no real meaning in the US, if asked, the FAA would interpret it in a way to avoid it being treated as an aircraft rating under 61.51.