Old 12-18-2008, 02:47 PM
SuperPilotJesse
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EX - OHJFKCRJFO

Originally Posted by Nevets View Post
Sure, especially if my airline uses ex-Mesa aircraft.

There may be a point by not doing this retroactively. But certainly going forward it would be a great idea regardless of how some particular company is doing because there will always be a company that is not doing "good." And ALPA has actually proposed to do this on two different fronts. Its in the works right now as we speak. The Fee For Departure Work Group is working diligently towards this. Of course, not everyone is for it. I think that people just need to look at other unions and see how this type of idea really benefits their respective professions and then maybe they can see past the possible short term sacrifice and see the big picture.

With a labor friendly administration, there is an excellent opportunity to include this into contracts through section 6 negotiations. The government gives pilots leverage with a labor friendly NMB and therefore pilots can use that in their negotiations with management to have this in their contract. The real problem I think you alluded to is getting a consensus of pilots willing to strike over this idea because I think that is what its going to take.

Again, maybe not doing this retroactively for those airlines that are not in existance but definately for anyone else that is around when this is implemented, including Mesa.

End of whipsawing and downward pressure on wages and work rules from airline pilots competing agains each other.

Not necessarily. The Fee For Departure Work Group is working on a seniority migration mechanism that would leave separate contracts in place.

Never say wont happen.

Actually, the time is now! We have a friendly administration coming to office and most contracts coming up for negotiation at around the same time. The UAL MEC is just trying to push start the idea. But there is already another group of MECs that were working on this already. They include all ALPA MECs of the fee for departure carriers. This is not about hand outs. This is about ending whipsaw once and for all. Sure it will take the sacrifice of maybe seeing someone from another carrier come into your list above you but you have to look at the big picture of how much of a game changer this would be. We need to get out of the mentality of it always being all about me and think of how it would benefit our profession and in turn benefit you in the long run.
So you're telling me the guys that got hired by Mesa for the "quick upgrade" should now be ahead of me at my airline?

Wrong.

You're going to reward them for being greedy by working for someone who is known as a dirtbag. Or being greedy and not doing their research on the company they will be working for?

You're going to punish me because I took the time to do a little research on who I would be tying my life to. You're going to put me back in my life plan because I didn't go with the quick upgrade but with a company who had a better reputation?

I understand what you're saying... and I have just as good as a reason to gripe; I am furloughed. But you don't hear me going around and whining about it. I made my decisions I will live with it.

Mesa pilots looking for a bailout. You'll get more sympathy from congress.

Retarded.