View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
cac737
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: B747
Smile

Originally Posted by captainkudzu View Post
cac737, I think that you are off base. There are undoubtedly some "ab initio types" out there, but I think that many of them have been weeded out by this point. Most of the people in the industry by this point, in my experience anyway, are veterans of at least one airline (with the exception of the regional one-company guys).

I do think that your comments hold true for society at large. We have been so prosperous for so long that we've lost much of our drive and replaced it with a sense of entitlement. In a sense, the credit crunch may be good for our national psyche. With the absence of easy credit, we will be forced to work and save for what we want, rather than just charging it. That is not to say that the adjustment will be easy or pleasant.

about me:
3 jet companies
1 furlough
3 careers
2 kids
1 wife

Captain K;

I admit that my posts have been cast with a very wide net while perhaps aimed directly at the "fast track guys". For one, I hold no ill will towards them, I consider them blessed and with very good timing (luck). Unfortunately many don't feel that way and hold some sort of grudge especially towards those that lack some professionalism that comes with seasoning.

They are still around and doing very well btw. I know of one who was blessed to have his dad be the CP at a corporate outfit and got the right seat of a challenger right out of school and made left seat before he was 30!
He kept his mouth shut, learned very quickly, remained humble and got to where he is now due to his work ethic which even earned his peer's respect. I wish there were alot more like him!

I agree with your assessment of the overall "big picture", perhaps those that still 'Dont get it" will once they lose their right seat in a jet and have to go back to something with props.

Best of luck to us all!