View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Deez340
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 757/767

Originally Posted by Hunt599 View Post
I have the "aviation only" degree and was recently furloughed. I landed a GREAT job as an underwriter for an aviation insurance company...... I was very lucky though as the turnover is practically NIL.... right place at the right time I guess, but I was told that the main reason I was hired over the other candidates was my aviation knowledge.

There are jobs out there that, believe it or not, actually like the aviation degree. The problem is finding them. Networking is probably more important than what degree you get.
You're right, a bachelor's degree in most anything will open doors. It's your knowledge and experience that allows you to walk through them.

Most people get too wrapped around the axle as to what their degree is in. Yes you must have a JD to practice law and a MD to practice medicine, but beyond that the flavor of your degree doesn't hold as much weight as some believe. I recently saw a statistic that over 85% of college graduates work in a field completely unrelated to their degree.