View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
OKLATEX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: B767 FO

I have to agree with all that has been mentioned and I will toss in my 2 cents.

If you are currently learing to fly, I would recommend getting your flying done before you go after another major. Flying several times a week will help you greatly during your steep learning curve and will save you money. If you have your flying done, and are, or will be instructing for a flight school associated with a university, it may not be a bad idea to get a masters or second bachelors.

I think it is very important to have something to fall back on, especially if you medical out at an early age. I hope not!!! However, once you have been out of college and flying, your area of knowledge is going to become airline or corporate flying and less in what you have your second major in, especially if it is something that is changing and requires use of skills.

When things slowed after 9/11, at my regional, many people worked their way into management jobs. Great way to seperate yourself from the rest of the crowd, and certainly gives you some experience that you could use should you get furloughed, medical out or decide that you want to go down the management road later in your career.

If have flown with some guys that have gotten masters just as something to do on their off days while flying for the airlines.

Education and Experience is very important, and the rest is networking. After a while, it isn't what you know, it is who you know. I am an aviation major, management minor, and all of my flying jobs have come from people I have met from college.

Last edited by OKLATEX; 12-30-2008 at 10:43 AM.