View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Phantom Flyer
Snakes & Nape

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: B-767 Captain
Angry I Disagree

Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
Find a successful orthapedic surgeon and that is what you are supposed to be making, only you're not.
With all due respect, I disagree. I doubt that anyone on this forum has spent the time and expended the financial resources that it takes to become a surgeon of any type. With 4 years of undergraduate, medical school, internships, residency, etc., most young doctors are looking at 10 or more years of formal training and some horrendous hours as a resident before they really start making any serious money. When one throws in just malpractice insurance alone in today's environment, that $400-500+K per year they can earn doesn't go as far as one might imagine.

I don't think most of us have spent 10+ years training to become a pilot. Yes, one may have been in the military that long and on the civilian side, worked their way up through the ranks but we didn't spend 5-7 years of formal training and besides, our profession is suffering a glut of qualified, trained individuals. Supply and demand. Yes, it will change and the pendulum will swing back but not for a l-o-n-g time.

Just my 0.000234 cents (two cents devalued to today's numbers)

G'Day Mates.