View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 AM
JetJock16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SkyWest Capt.

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck View Post
Dude I CANNOT believe you bid for 6 day stretches. Kill me now lol. I had a month or two with a lot of those and they were the worst months I've ever had lol.
6 day work blocks aren't that bad, what is bad is 4 - 2 leg cross country commutes instead of 3. The best I've made it from my house to our FAT crew lounge is 9 hours (15 minute drive to the train station, 45 minute train ride, get there 45 minutes before my target FLT, 5 hour FLT to LAX with 1 hour in between my connection and a 1 hour FLT to FAT). My commute can take anywhere between 9-14 hours one way. Also keep in mind that my 6 day work blocks are always commutable on the back and sometimes on the front if I can drop the first leg into LAX or SFO and the second departs after 11:00 in the morning. In order to make an 11 o’clock departure I need to make, at the latest, an 8:30 a.m. FLT out of ATL.

I came across a FedEx pilot who commutes from Sydney and works 9-12 day work blocks (I'd work the same size blocks for larger blocks off). Yes he makes A LOT more money than I do but a Sydney-Memphis commute is harsh.