View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 08:01 PM
jelloy683
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Default What would you do?

Need some advice from the CFI's/professional pilots out there. One of my students (who happens to be quite wealthy) bought a Cirrus SR-22. He plans on using it for his own use (he owns a business, and has clients all over the place) as well as lease it out to our flight school. As part of the insurance requirement for me to instruct in it, i needed to take a Cirrus Standardized Instructor Program course, which is basically like a type rating which costs around $3,400, which he paid for. He doesnt have his PPL yet, and needs to get his instrument rating in order to fly it solo (insurance). We had no previous agreement beforehand, but after I finished my CSIP training, he said that he expected that I would give his training for free since he paid for the cost of the program. Am I wrong to assume that the cost of the CSIP training is an associated cost of buying a Cirrus? CFI'ing is my main source of income, and he expects me to free-instruct for his instrument rating, which could take anywhere from 50-150hrs...am I being out of line by saying that i demand to be paid for my services? The only draw back is that, I could rack up alot of XC hours with this guy when he flies all over the place to see his clients. I need some feedback...