Old 01-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Xray678
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 7ERA

On an AE "award", how long to they have to get you trained, when do you get notified for training, and when does the pay switch?
I believe it's six or nine months, and once a year they can put out a bid that has twelve months. Usually within a week or two after a bid closes, the training estimates come out, but you won't find out for sure until the month before you go to training. Pay switches when you are converted. And by the way, the above times, 9 or 12 months, are how long they have to convert you to the new category. I guy I know just got converted to the 777 but has not gone to training yet. He is sitting home drawing 777 pay.

What is the difference between a "personal drop" and a "authorized personal drop"? From what I can figure, you only get one APD a year, and it lets you drop a trip with fewer reserve requirements. Do you need prior approval from someone to use it?
A personal drop is when you put in to drop a trip. If the reserves required vs available show they have enough reserves, then you will get the drop. Once a year you get an authorized personal drop. In the case of an APD. the reserves available only have to be 25% of the reserves required and you will get the drop. There is also a qualified personal drop. Basically, if you put in a regular personal drop and it is denied, you can leave it in the computer. That trip now shows up in open time, and if someone else picks it up, its gone from your schedule.

PBS for reserves? On-line yet?
Not yet. The test program is up this month. I would guess we will have PBS for reserves within six months.

Any procedures for base swapping? Waiting for the once/twice a year AE to switch from MSP to DTW seems kind of onerous.
Nope, if you want to change bases you have to wait for the normal AE process. AEs come often when things are moving. But then you can have a year with only one or two.