Thread: The OSU?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
museic
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Hey...if your looking for a small, tight knit, and extremely effective flight school I would check out University of Cincinnati. Honestly the only thing that UC has to do with he program is giving you a diploma with their name on it and supplying a classroom. As far as your flight training and classroom time everything, and i mean everything is done by Sporty's (aside from like math classes and other required classes.).

They have a very nice facility and a small student body which helps when figuring out flight blocks etc. and everyone knows each other. It's not actually based at main campus its based at UC Clermont campus and clermont county airport (I69). The FBO is Sporty's corporate HQ/warehouse so when you have to buy stuff it's litterally down the hall to your right. You can also get a job working for them and get 50% off on all their merchandise.

You can start from scratch and be at CPL w/ ASEL/AMEL/CFI/II within two years if you try hard enough. The degree is an accociates of Aviation Technology but the nice thing is you can take a business option and transfer right down to main for a BA. If business isn't your thing you can always figure out a different route to take for a Bachelor...I know a couple people go to ERAU which is like 20 minutes north and finish up there for a Bachelor in aviation or even go to main for w/e they want.

If I was you i'd start comparing rental prices at the different schools your looking at...I've heard of some colleges charging as much as $200 an hour for a 152 which is insane.

As far as OSU i have a lot of friends that go up their and love it, It's a fun town. the other nice thing is that they are located on a towered field which is nice for the experience... it also has 4 runways so you'll always have a chance for a xwind take off. OU is a good school, kind of expensive and not much to do except drink. Seriously i know alot of people that have come back b/c their livers could not handle it. But Halloween is rated like #3 college party in the US...It's a blast but like I said everyone i've talked to friends who go their and they said all they do is drink every night. Their airfield is nice, it's a single RR Class Echo airport with an ILS.

WMU is a really really good aviation school, they kick ass every year at NIFA and they fly Cirrus's that were donated by Northwestern I believe...may be wrong about that but who cares they still fly Cirrus's and they are nice as hell. I think they have about 4000 aviation student's in various fields. Kent State is another school i'd look at.

hope this helps, if you have more questions about UC feel free to PM me...