Thread: C-17 Gear Up
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2009, 08:42 AM
USMCFLYR
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

That anti-commander attitude has been fostered by the very tip-top of leadership in the USAF heavy world. Easy to understand why guys feel that way. I'm not trying to excuse it--and I certainly don't subscribe to it--but I understand why some have that point of view.
I see this attitude from many on this forum - and it seems to be especially prevalent among our AF members. I don't know if it is an overwhelming feeling within the AF or just the type of personalities that are attracted to web boards - but it is a little eye watering. Most of the time it is a wholesale distrust and dislike of the *senior* leadership as a whole - yet everytime a senior officer is killed (for instance the F-15 pilot recently on a training exercise or the General in Alaska) - they are heraled as outstanding officers and leaders (as they probably are and should be). So it just doesn't compute. Blanket statements that senior (and notice it is always senior - not junior; but who becomes senior?) leadership is out of touch and out of control and yet everyone gone was a one of a kind officer and leader just doesn't make sense.

I had a commander on a previous aircraft who took down a crew for "checklist discipline" although there was no evidence for such other than maintenance said so. I believe his ultimate reason was to make maintenance trust him, but at the same time he made his operators distrust him.
If this is accurate then it most certainly would be a travesty; but at the same time - can you not come up with one instance of a commander doing the RIGHT thing to counter balance? Again - I'm not saying that there are bad commanders or bad leaders - I'm talking about a blanket statement that seemed out of place and insulting to those of us still on AD (or leaders in the Reserves or ANG)

I have a positive attitude about most commanders, but there are some that set some very poor examples. Sadly, those are the examples that some remember most.
Then making sure that the **rights** get as much or more attention than the **wrongs** is a challenge that we each face.

USMCFLYR

PS - Sorry about the thread drift; but I'm interested - what cautions/warnings are in the cockpit on a large transport aircraft to try and help prevent a gear up landing? Bells, whistles, flashing lights, Betty's voice, wheels watch, standard gear calls to tower, etc....?