View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 04:52 PM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by block30 View Post

My question is simply this, do military pilots have some difficulty when flying on the civilian side?
Yes, no different than anyone else operating in a new environment. Not a military/civilian issue. It is a new environment issue. New environments require thorough training. I have extensive GA/Military/Commercial experience. Treat each one with enormous respect. Often, the avionics being used has a big part of the situational awareness. We all know class B and C etc, but when VMC and using different avionics, one may not know exactly where they are at sometimes <g>. It has never happened to me
Also, radio routines being used differs in the environments. Flight following is different than being vectored, etc. Military pilots are in a very controlled environment when they fly just like airline pilots. VFR GA flying is enormously fun but also sometimes extraordinarily daunting. You are responsible for where you decide to travel, etc. Smart mil drivers are not embarrassed or to humble to ask for extra training. CFI's should not be embarrassed or neglect to offer extra situational awareness on the usage of the aircraft equipment, etc. to operate more safely in the environmeny they are being checked. Mutual respect among aviators prevents accidents. I have learned an enormous amount from all civ background folks just like the all mil background bubs. I'm a hybrid who still has enormous respect for the many segments of aviation and appreciate a good, professional aviator regardless of stripe.