View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 AM
SAT FLYER
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Default Ramp Check Question

A friend of mine was ramp checked in Louisiana on Saturday. During the process of the ramp check she could not locate her medical. The FAA Agent gave her his card and advised her to call her and fax a copy of it to him once she finds it...and warned her against flying home without the medical.
She found the medical about two hours later burried in her baggage. She faxed the medical to the agent as well as leaving a VM advising that she found it and faxed it to him. She also dropped a NASA form, basically saying that she did not properly organize her flight bag and placed her medical in her travel luggage and was not able to produce the medical upon request.
So I have two questions.....first, it appears as though the FAA is going to atleast send her a letter about this, as they have not returned her call and they have called other regarding this matter. The FBO that she rented the aircraft from was contacted on Sunday by the FAA (prior to her returning the aircraft). They asked if they had a copy of her medical and if they knew that she had been flying "illegally" without her medical. Once she returned the A/C Sunday afternoon, the FBO told her that she was not allowed to rent A/C from them any longer, as she has violated a FAR. Is the FAA allowed to discuss open investigations with third parties?

Second question, will the NASA form help her in this situation? I believe she is okay, even if she had to go to an NTSB appeal. The fact that she did have it in the aircraft, she just could not produce it.