Thread: Part 141 vs 61
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 03:07 PM
heckler45
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Questions you should ask yourself; Where do you live? Do you want to relocate, etc. When looking around at schools the first thing I would do is to verify that they are indeed a VA approved school and then double check on the VA web-site to validate their claims. One thing you will learn when chosing this profession is you always need to CYA and don't depend on anyone.

As I am sure you are aware, your VA benefits will only kick in after completing your private pilots license. It is only 60% of the total cost for each additional rating or license. Also bear in mind that you more than likely will be dishing out the money up front. Good news is that most schools allow you to pay as you go or you can give them a lump sum. I guess it's all in how you obtain your financing for initial expenses.

Do this, if you have the time go visit the schools you are interested in. Be sure to make it a point to speak with their VA representative. They should be able to give you a break down of exactly how much each course runs and how much exactly you will get back from VA. If their VA rep seems to be clueless then drop that school from the list of potentials.

I know how bad the flying bug can bite and how anxious a person can be to get started earning their wings. I went the 141 route using VA only to finish at a time when the industry took a nose dive. I would offer the advice of using your VA benefits to go to college and fly part time at a local FBO. Get you a degree that will allow you to obtain a decent paying job. But that's my $0.02 worth!