Thread: Part 141 vs 61
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Want2learn View Post
I currently have a BA degree in Criminal Justice and have been a police officer for 17 years. I am 37 years old and am looking for something else to do when I am eligible for retirement in 4 years. Don't think I want to work the streets until I am 55 or older. Hoping this could be another option. When you are talking about degrees does it have to be in aviation or would my current degree sufice? I am also waiting on info about the new Post 9/11 VA benefits. They had put out some info about it applying to flight instruction if it was provided by a IHL. Not sure what they will pay for. At my age would anyone advise commercial job or try for the corporate world? Thanks again for the info and any other suggestions would be much apprecieated.
Any four-year degree works. there are many ex-cops in aviation. Try to get your ratings and work as a CFI before you retire. If you're looking at airlines, you don't want to wast any seniority opportunities at your age. Ideally, try to meet hiring mins the day you retire.

Corporate or regional airlines would probably both work for you. Corporate is all about networking, so spending time at your local airport will help. Actually airlines are all about who you know too, except that regionals will hire all-comers during boom cycles.

The more involved you get in GA, the more you will learn about career options. Get your PPL asap (if you don't already have it) and some fun flying. The VA will not pay for PPL anyway.

Post 9/11 MGIB is complicated...I'm not even clear on the bennies work for flight training, but I do believe that it is more restrictive than in the past. Instead of using a 141 school at your local airport, you might actually have to attend an aviation degree at a university which does flight training. There may also be some provision for grandfathering the old rules if you were eligible for the old bill...I would look into that, it might allow you to train at a small local school anyway.