Old 03-16-2009, 07:11 PM
nfnsquared
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: UnemploymentJet

Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
I have not met anyone this way who was applying for it. I know a couple people who took about $100K to get out about 2 years ago via VSP and one was interested in coming back in if they would not ask to pay back the VSP, but not sure how that worked out as I haven't spoke to him in a while. Maybe I am off base, but isn't the recall for people to go to UAVs, 11Rs, 179 day TDYs and some staff jobs? I haven't heard if they are offering any fighter guys back in for that same deal. It must not be very good deals IMO to get people to come back in, but thats my .02. Now, if they were offering no deployment AETC instructor gigs or FTU instructor slots with no deployments, I imagine there would be a good line around the corner of those willing to do those jobs. So, if we haven't heard much from between here and baseops.net, I can only imagine these are less than desirable positions, but could be wrong!
Not necessarily. I talked to CJ last week and he didn't rule out going to AETC to instruct in any aircraft (I'm a Buff driver, 23+ years, set to retire in 9 months). I've met all my gate months and honestly I'm fed up with all the extra crap we put up with in the nuke world, plus I'm really hating the 9-hour training sorties sitting in the IP seat for 8 of the 9 hours. It's only going to get worse when we move under GSC. I definitely don't want to re-up another 3-4 years if it means staying in the nuke flying world. I'd rather do an AETC gig, but quite frankly, I could settle for a staff job at 8 AF (yeah, I know you're tired of Shrevehole) or GSC. CJ made it sound like any of the above 3 jobs was possible. You just don't know until you fill out the application and get their offer back. If you don't like it, you have 14 days to decline with no strings attached.

He didn't sound like they were getting flooded with application. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumored "new" plan sweetens the deal. He said they have 1600 positions to fill!