Old 03-21-2009, 03:15 PM
CactusCrew
Tri-tanic operator

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Doggie

Originally Posted by Buck92 View Post
Not sure how any of this prevents the upcoming furlough (perhaps future furloughs), but anyway: I don't see how putting the 200 managers into the list (particularly by DOH, which I'm sure is the only way they'll accept it -- getting stapled to the bottom of the list is laughable even by their standards) doesn't screw everyone not senior to the most senior manager. I mean, by definition, giving them a seniority number means they bid on schedules and can't be used by UPS 'at will' (which is the point of them)... I guess maybe they still drop some trips and displace off others for line checking, etc... but still screws any of us below them on the list as we've just lost 200 numbers for schedule bidding and upgrade. Also, if they get put on the list and get a number, how could you keep them a Capt on Capt pay if their seniority puts them solidly in FO territory? Anyone senior to them on the list getting FO pay would have a valid grievance I would think. And if you can't keep them on Capt pay, why would they agree to it? I may be missing something...

Just to clarify, in my past experience ... these type of union supervisory pilots did NOT bid schedules. They were in the office M-F. If they wanted to get out of the office to fly, a line guy got displaced and stayed home with pay.

Line checks and training was accomplished by line check airmen. That "management" release to line is unique to UPS. Any of our IPA line instructors could do the same thing.

I don't know if it is your case, but if UPS is someone's only airline, it may be hard to understand how unique the management pilot system is here.

I think the ability to use them at will hurts us more than we may realize. IMHO of course.