Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 PM
Roberto
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 757/767

Originally Posted by Buck92 View Post
As someone who has possibly a better grasp on the numbers than manpower planning, do you think the furlough will be mitigated (or are 50-100 of us hitting the street in Sept regardless of what agreements are made between UPS/IPA)? Not asking for a legal guarentee, just your best estimated guess based on what you know/think. Thanks.
Manpower Planning has better info, but there are times when they may be restricted from talking about an area of interest. They have always answered my questions when they could. Often I think they are just like us and waiting to get their marching orders from above.

I wish I had some insight on what will happen, but I do not. The three most important things are economy, economy, and economy...

One guess I will make is that the DC8 will be gone after peak, if it lasts that long. At the moment, we have only 11 in the "active" fleet. Nine are in GSO for repair assessments, and the rest are in ROW. UPS has said they have 10 spare 757's. We are scheduled to get a 767 in the summer and another in the fall. Maybe a couple of 747's before the year is out, and five more 767's through July of next year. It is possible that the new aircraft could be delayed, I have been told.

Another factor is all the people in training and its effect on manning. Most of the training should be done in the fall. However, if the aircraft shuffles from the paragraph above take place, there will be another boatload of training to follow.

I'm anxiously awaiting news from the ongoing UPS/IPA discussions.

There is just too much going on now and too many unknowns, not only for us, but also for UPS. They typically hold their cards as long as they can before making a decision. Hope this helps a little.