Thread: Stalls at Night
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 01:03 PM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by withthatsaid182 View Post
Anyways the student met with me yesterday and told me the 101 reasons why stalls are dangerous and all the people she knows that said she wouldn't do them. I told her my reasoning which is similar to everyone's here. That was that, she didn't like it and actually left. If she comes around again, it'll be interesting to see.
This says a lot to me about the student. What I recommend is that you sit down and offer a lesson on stalls. Show her that they aren't the devil and that a stall is nothing more than the aircraft no longer creating enough lift to maintain altitude.

Here's what I suggest. Sit for about 30 minutes and reteach the aerodynamics of the stall. Take her up in the plane and climb to a very safe altitude. Reinforce that stalls aren't a terrible thing.

Start with power off stalls and simply transition from stable state slow flight to a straight ahead full stall. HOLD THE STALL. The aircraft will simply rock back and forth gently (like a floating leaf) and you will need to make minor adjustments with the rudder. Show her that in a stall, the airplane is stil generating lift (otherwise you'd be dropping like a brick instead of doing a slow descent at about 300-400FPM). Let her fly the "floating leaf" and then recover to straight and level flight after 30-45 seconds of stalling.

Then do a few power off FULL stalls while in turns, followed by transition into power on imminent stalls, followed by full power on stalls.

My guess is that her previous instructor never taught the fundamentals and why stalls aren't inherently dangerous when properly executed. (Heck- I've taken two transport category aircraft to stick push or full stall.)

Build up her confidence and comfort, then go do them at night.