Thread: Stalls at Night
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 AM
Gajre539
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: EMB-170 FO

I never did stalls at night during my training in KORL. I think it depends where you are. In TLH, we have 2 practice areas - one is completely dark at night with no references and the other is near the coast with a good view of the city if you turn around.

As long as you have references, you should be good to go. I don't like doing stalls at night if I can't see the horizon or any references of the ground. You need to know which way to go if your student flips the plane. My general rule is that if a student pilot can't do stalls during the day, I won't do stalls with him/her at night. Now if you have someone who has their private certificate (or above), sure, go do stalls at night.

I always teach turning stalls during IFR training under the hood. I love doing 30 bank stalls with the student under the hood, it always freaks them out. And if your student is under the hood, it doesn't matter if it is day or night outside as long as the CFI can see some references to prevent/recover from a spin entry.