Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 AM
JDurham
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: F/O SF340

I think most all of us are in the same boat. Trust me I know instruction gets old and I love instructing. Just hang in there. I've been stuck free-lancing for over a year and fighting just to get into a flight school so I can have more students. I've got two master's, 135 time and cannot even get a job teaching at a community college. It sucks everywhere.

One thing that does work is make new contacts. If you instruct at a large school with a busy airport make yourself known. Strike up conversations with people. Hanging out in the FBO or main terminal works well. In addition some of the flight schools that are not professional pilot driven but yet are still busy pt 61 schools are a good way to meet people from many different professions who have good contacts elsewhere. You may get a student who has their own business that is looking to buy an a/c and a pilot to fly it or knows of someone who knows someone who is in need of a pilot. I've had a lot of friends get offered good corporate jobs that way.