View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 05:05 PM
jedinein
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by INTERNET PILOT View Post
How could anyone prove this? Additionally, where has the FAA defined "intent to log dual given" as acting as CFI. Lets say I'm a CFI and my father is a private pilot with 5 times more hours than me. We do a $100 hamburger flight together. The FAA does a ramp check and determines I'm in violation of this reg because they think I'm going to log it. Doesn't seem fair...
I've been ramp checked when although I hold a CFI certificate, but was not instructing. I was asked, "are you an instructor?" and responded, "I am an instructor, but was not instructing." The FAA Inspectors interviewed my pilot-rated passenger separately. My passenger confirmed he just being a passenger. In the FAA's logbook review a few days later, if they were concerned, they would have noted that flight logged without dual given.

It's really simple, if you're acting as a flight instructor, have your certificate and the certificate which it requires with you.

Now if you are an A&P mechanic, you don't have to have the certificate with you, thus the wording.