View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 04:37 PM
jedinein
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by INTERNET PILOT View Post
If you're a CFI with no MEI and you're riding along in an twin to teach the PIC how to use the GPS unit, are you "acting as a flight instructor"?
Be v-e-r-y careful here, I've been through this one too. It cost me three months of my life to fight it. Teaching GPS is my specialty.

For part 91 ops:
If you are a CFII holding a commercial multiengine certificate, you can provide and log instruction on the GPS, under the appropriate task in the Instrument PTS. Make sure you have 5 hours in make and model (I don't agree with this part, but the FAA didn't ask me). Make sure your CFII & commercial/ATP certificates are in the plane.

If you are an MEI, knock yourself out, make sure you have 5 hours in make & model. Make sure your MEI & commercial/ATP certificates are in the plane.

If you are Joe Schmoe off the street teaching the GPS, do not occupy a required pilot station, and do not log it as dual given nor endorse the pilot's logbook as dual received along with refraining from logging it as PIC unless you are PIC, nor count any of the items conducted on the flight towards an IPC or BFR, knock yourself out. Leave the certs at home unless you are PIC, then carry what is needed for the PIC part. If anything happens, unless you are PIC, you are a pilot-rated passenger. Make sure your client knows this. If there might be a question, get it in writing.