Old 05-18-2009, 08:22 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default On Board

I have been saying this stuff for years. It is difficult to impossible to make it in this industry with a family in tow and be able to preserve some kind of QOL. Even if you upgrade the prospects of making the jump to the majors is becoming a long shot.

When I reached the end of my trail I had to choose what was best for my wife and children and I am glad that I did, however it is a tragedy to have so much invested in a profession that has become a dead end for many.

I don't know if anti-trust legislation will make things better. If wages were able to increase then everyone will have their hands out. Pilots, Flight attendants, rampers, cleaners, mechanics, office people, aircraft leasing companies will all want a pay raise. If that happens then you know that ticket prices will jump up. Demand will decrease and the airlines will once again begin to shrink. A good deal for those who already have a job at the majors. Not so good for the next generation of pilots.

My highest hopes lie in the death of GA. As the cost of training continues to increase the flood of pilots might begin to taper off a bit.

Skyhigh