View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 08:01 AM
INTERNET PILOT
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by WalkOfShame View Post
It looks like you've answered all your questions yourself. Yes the FAA can't technically prove you did "training" if there is no record (logbook or otherwise). Just make sure you follow the FAR's and pay pro-rata share.

To put it to you this simply: Do what ever you want, it's not my CFI cert.
Theoretical situation: You're in a plane with another person holding short of the runway ready for takeoff. An FAA inspector stops you to ramp check you for whatever reason. He asks you for your certificates which are required such as airworthiness, aircraft registration, etc. You show him all those documents. Then he asks you "is this an instructional flight. Because if it is, then you must show me your CFI certificate.". You reply, "No sir this is not an instructional flight. In order for a flight to be "instructional" according to the definition of "instructional time" as laid out in 61.1(16) the flight needs to be logged as official dual given/recieved. This flight has not been logged as anything yet, so as of right now this is not an instructional flight and I am not exercising any privileges pf my CFI certificate."

Is there anything wrong with this scenerio? Is there anything in the regs that would make thew pilot in this scenerio wrong? What could the FAA inspector do?

People in this thread seem to think "who cares just always have your certificate with you at all times" is the only amount of understanding required if you hold a CFI certificate and regularily fly with students. I disagree. I think it's important that you understand EXCATLY where each regulation begins and where exactly they end. Especially if you are going to be teaching this stuff.