View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Rich
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Default 141 vs. independent instructor

I've been reading these forums and you guys post a lot of great info for young guys looking to get into the industry. Thanks so much for that.

You've heard the background a million times. 19 years old, in college, dreams of becoming an airline pilot.

My folks aren't willing to send me to an aviation college like ERAU, so I'm going to have to pursue flight certifications locally. I know a pilot, who knows some instructors he can put me in touch with, but if I acquire certification with these guys I'm worried that not having gone to a 141 certified school will hurt my prospects of finding a job ultimately. Am I correct in thinking this? My friend says it doesn't matter, but I e-mailed Delta, and they said "...you might be best served by checking into FAA accredited programs, specifically a part 141 approved school." My friend a pilot and I highly respect his opinion, I was just wondering what you guys thought. Is 141 training just bells and whistles that schools use to jack up prices?

Also, do you guys think it's better to learn near congested airspace (Class B) as opposed to driving out a little farther and going somewhere less crowded? I thought I read somewhere (not here) that crowded airspaces give you a different experience, but I don't want to be waiting on the ground for 45min prior to takeoff.

Last edited by Rich; 11-04-2005 at 08:35 AM.