View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 09:37 AM
FlyerJosh
Chief Jeppesen Updater

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: Executive Transport Driver

Originally Posted by SWAjet
Rich, one more thing.

When SWA interviewed me, they mentioned nothing about my non-141 training. They couldn't give a flip, as what got me the interview was my current flying job and the jet time I had built up (and 737 type rating, naturally).

The ratings label (ERAU, American Flyers, etc.) doesn't matter. The flying jobs (multi-engine, turbine, etc.) do! And you get those flying jobs largely through your networking.

Good luck.
I agree (to a certain extent)... a checkride, is a checkride, is a checkride. Regardless of if you get the training from ERAU, UND, joe schmoe aviation. However many of the airlines that you will be looking for employment at (not SWA, but Air Wisc, Comair, Horizon, etc) do look more favorably on part 141 (particularly university PT 141) experience.

The marjority of the 600 hr "wonders" that are out there came from those programs. The networks that the universities have set up are the strongest in the industry... and many opportunities are available only to graduates of those programs.

Here's a link to the jobs page of my alma matter: http://studentservices.aero.und.edu/...hips/index.php
Note the number of positions that have "UND Alumni Only" (particularly at the airlines)... That status denotes reduced experience requirements for those positions based on the reputation the school has. Many other PT 141 schools have similar arrangements (I'm sure you can find similar job postings at any of the larger schools/universities around the country).