View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Chrisw
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: underemployed
Default pic flight time as an instructor

The other day while conversing with one of my friends who is also a CFI/CFII/MEI, I was unwillingly entered into a debate regarding the logging of PIC flight time. The situation was that he was a passenger in the back seat of a sceneca while the front seats had another CFI/CFII/MEI and a private pilot working towards his PMEL add on. He claimed that since he is an instructor and aided in instructing the student he could log all of the time in the aircraft as PIC instruction given. I obviously find this hard to believe because he is in no way in contact with any of the controlls of the aircraft. In my curiosity, I reviewed FAR 61.51 (e) which deals with logging of pilot in command time. section (3) states, "An authorized instructor may log pilot-in-command time all flight time while acting as an authorized instructor." This leads me to ask what exactly is "an authorized instructor?" 61.1 (b) (2) defines an authorized instructor. section (i) explains ground instructors and section (ii) explains, "A person who holds a current flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate..." In 61.193 where the privilages of a flight instructor are outlined in (a) through (i), nowhere does it say that only one instructor at a time can instruct one student. 61.189 (a) states, "A flight instructor must sign the logbook of each person to whom that instructor has given flight training or ground training." So does this mean that both the instructors would need to sign the private pilot's log book? I feel like I have raised more questions than answers in my search for the truth here. I am not looking for someone's opinion as to whether it is morally ok to log flight time from the back seat, I am looking for what is allowed per the FAA. I am looking for specific FARs that will help me better understand the ruling on this. If anyone can give me any information on this matter it would be appreciated. Thanks