View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 07:48 AM
notadog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by CactusCrew View Post
I highlighted a common misperception. Not pointing at you Airbum, just a convenient place to jump in ...

This is NOT a traditional concession where people actually give up PAY as you suggested. I've been there and done that. We shouldn't see it as GIVING UP PAY. That's when your hourly rate drops form $150 to $95 and you lose work rules and now spend MORE TIME on the job for LESS MONEY. Just ask any of the pax airlines.

This MOU allows various options to WORK less credit hours for the SAME PAY RATE. That's a big difference to me and anyone who has been through the real concession sacrafices ! Some of the options like Job Share, even give you a part-time job for full-time benefits.

If you meant the senior ones taking early retirement, its still not exactly correct. As the older guy I recently flew with explained it ... he may "lose" 4 years of income by retiring at 55, but that is 4 years of his life he just got back ! Ain't NOTHING for free ... and he would have to work to 59 to receive the same retirement benefit since this MOU eliminates the early penalty. He explained to me well and is still considering an early out at 55 !

I hope this deal does work. If the IPA membership can't get together to help itself, I hate to see the next round of negotiations.

This isn't just about saving 300 jobs. Its about preserving the current seniority "life style" for over 1000 of us ...

And its about showing ATL that the chiefs in SDF don't know exactly what this membership is made of ... or do they ?

This may not be the "traditional" concession, but it sends a message. Pilots at UPS will work for less if they are threatened. In 2012, that's the position that the company will negotiate from.